Hawaiian Wedding Flowers
Hawaiian wedding flowers are the perfect way to add color and excitement to your wedding. If you are having a tropical or beach themed wedding these flowers will be perfect.
Leis are the garland of flowers that are commonly worn around the neck. They symbolize love and peace as well as being a way of expressing hello and farewell. We all associate leis with Hawaii so they really are a 'must-have' when you are planning your Hawaiian wedding flowers.
The most popular flower that leis are made from are orchids such as dendrobium orchids. These are available in a range of beautiful colours including white and violet. They can also be created from carnations and ginger. Leis made from the leaves of the ti plant (pronounced tee) are a symbol of good luck.
Leis can also be made that are worn around the ankle, wrist and on the head.
You can create an exotic bridal bouquet using a range of striking tropical flowers. Orchids and anthuriums make excellent choices as Hawaiian wedding flowers. Anthuriums are particularly attractive and are available in a variety of colors including white, green and vivid reds.
The smaller protea are also great flowers for using in a bridal bouquet. These tropical flowers are available in red and yellow.
If you particularly like roses or gerber daisies (gerberas), these can be incorporated into a bouquet with other tropical flowers and blend with them very well.
There is a range of stunning tropical flowers that can be used for your ceremony.
Heliconia is available as large structural pieces and therefore are particularly suited to ceremony and reception displays. Their colors range from yellow through to red. They work well in mixed arrangements with other tropical flowers such as orchids and anthuriums.
Ginger is another structural tropical flower that is ideal for ceremony and reception rooms. It is available in pink and red varieties.
If you are having your ceremony outside, a flower arch decorated with exotic flowers can look absolutely stunning. Many florists will have access to a flower arch that you can hire.
Here are some Hawaiian wedding flowers ideas for your reception:
- Decorate your cake with fresh dendrobium orchids. You can also use scattered dendrobium orchids on the tables as a simple but effective decoration.
- Centerpieces can be created by using a collection of seashells, which continues the beach theme. If you find some seashells large enough, you can place orchids in them to produce a tropical centrepiece.
- Create a tropical Hawaiian centerpiece by using hollowed out pineapples or coconuts as an alternative to a vase. Place orchids and anthuriums in them.
Once you have arranged your Hawaiian wedding flowers, why not try some of these ideas to add the finishing touch to your wedding:
- Groomsmen dress in Hawaiian shirts with bridesmaids in dresses of a matching pattern.
- Play some CD's of 'slack key' music in the background. This style of music was invented in the Hawaiian Islands and is easy for everybody to enjoy.
- Hire a professional hula dancer to come and teach your guests to dance at the reception. This is guaranteed to be great fun and will get everyone involved. Provide some grass skirts for your guests to dress up in!
- Use some coconut or pineapple scented candles to produce an exotic aroma.
Return to The Wedding Flowers Guide Home Page